Thursday, June 28, 2007

watering my garden

Yesterday I watered my garden. It had been a while since I did that since I forgot to for a while, maybe three days. But that is OK, because plants need to get a little dried out so their roots will sssstrrreeeccchhh down into the soil looking for more water. That makes the whole plant stronger, and then when you come along to water with your hose they are so happy!

This is what I saw in the garden while I was watering: the tomato plants that have gotten TWICE as BIG since I last saw them! And I saw the tomatillos that fell over while they are waiting for me to put in sticks and strings for them to lean on. Do you know what a tomatillo is? It looks like a little green tomato with a skin on it, but it tastes like a lemon. And when it is ready to eat it breaks open its skin and the skin gets dried like paper. You can make salsa with it and I don't know what else.

Wombat Warren is digging his own garden all the time. Every time I see him he is working on it. He saves his seeds every year. He likes especially to save the sunflower seeds. Do you know when you look at the top of the sunflower and you see what you think is the flower you are really seeing a BUNCH of flowers all crammed together on the top of the stalk? That is called a composite flower.

2 comments:

Freddie the Amazing Anthropomorphic Dog said...

Dear Broccoli Rob,

Your remarks about compound flowers are intriguing. Have you got any information on compound eyes. If a fly has compound eyes can he see a thousand times better and if a plant has compound flowers, well how does THAT affect it's social life? I am an admirer of your work.

Freddie the Amazing Anthropomorphic Dog said...

I misused an apostrophe. Forgive me