Monday, June 11, 2007

sweet potatoes, blue lakes

This morning I watered the garden. The sweet potato babies are called "slips" and they are about two inches high. Some are good, some are not looking so good. Two died. I don't know why.

Our garden neighbor Wombat Warren gave us the sweet potato babies. They were extra, he already planted a bunch. He grew them in a bucket of water. I will have to tell you more about Wombat Warren sometime. Even though it may seem that way he is not pretend.

Last week my mom left some baby flowers in her car all day and some of them died too from getting WAAAAY too hot. She felt bad about it and I made her feel worse.

So this morning I pulled out the dead sweet potatoes and planted some beans in their place. They're called "Blue Lake Bush Beans." I don't know where the blue lake is. They are not tall like pole beans. Do you know how to tell that a bean is fresh? It will stick to your t-shirt if it is fresh!

Beans love summer. They are so green. They are always fixing to get some nitrogen. You can plant them all summer. Then when they're ready to pick, you can pick them for three weeks. A baby bean is really cute, but too small to eat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm fixing to get some scorpions! can blue lake beans grow in the desert?

Scott C said...

I know there is a Blue Lake in Michigan, near Muskegon. Many summers I went back to school with "One time, at Band camp..."