Tuesday, May 29, 2007

more about me

So, I'm a kid who likes vegetables. I like them because they grow in the sunshine and under the stars. They drink sweet rainwater and they can never run away, so they make friends where they are.

My favorite ones these days are sugar snap peas and those sweet orange tomatoes, I think they're called sungolds. Some vegetables you can add sugar to, like rhubarb in a pie, and others like parnsips and beets are already full of sugar that just needs to get crawled out by baking them in the oven. Baby carrots in a bag should make you laugh because they're made with big carrots that get lathed in a machine. That's OK, you're still eating a carrot, but I am just telling you. There are also some weeds you can eat but I won't tell you about those yet.

And when you're talking about fruits, I like strawberries. Did you know you can plant them in the fall and they'll come in the spring for just one season? Or you can plant them in the fall and get them to come back for three springs. I also like figs. There's this lady my mom knows who makes fig jam from a recipe that her grandmother gave her, but she won't give my mom the receipe. I can tell you that it's very good, and I ate mine on a saltine, and it was still good. Our neighbor to the left of us, his name is Booze Allen, he tore the fig tree in his backyard out. Because it "attracts bugs." And that is true. I think wasps crawl inside them to live, and I think there's a reason that you wouldn't get a fig without the wasp eggs too. I'll try to find out to explain.

2 comments:

vuboq said...

AWESOME!!! Shall I provide some linkygoodness on my blog for you?

J and E said...

Thank you for the link, VUBOQ! Your baby pepper plants are HOT!